Windows 7 is a new operating system from Microsoft. It is the latest member of Windows family after Windows 2000, XP and Vista. It has loads of new features and functionality. You need specific system requirements to install and run Windows 7 operating system on the computer. Check the following list and later perform test on existing computer using Windows 7 upgrade advisor tool.
Minimum System Requirements
– 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
– 1 gigabyte (GB) RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
– 16 GB available hard disk space (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
– DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver
Additional requirements for specific features
1. Working Internet access for Windows updates.
2. Based on resolution, video playback may require additional memory and advanced graphics hardware
3. For some Windows Media Center functionality a TV tuner and additional hardware may be required
4 Windows Touch and Tablet PCs require specific hardware
5. HomeGroup requires a network and PCs running Windows 7
6. DVD/CD authoring requires a compatible optical drive
7. BitLocker requires Trusted Platform Module (TPM) 1.2
8. BitLocker To Go requires a USB flash drive
9. Windows XP Mode requires an additional 1 GB of RAM, an additional 15 GB of available hard disk space, and a processor capable of hardware virtualization with Intel VT or AMD-V turned on [source]