Windows 8 operating system promises lot of new features as compared to Windows 7 OS. Even though new features like touch gestures, metro interface, tablet support and more have been added – there is no radical change in hardware requirements for installing Windows 8 operating system. Minimum system requirements for Windows 7 operating system should be enough for Windows 8 OS. Hence, if you are using Windows 7 on current PC – then you can install Windows 8 OS on it without any issue.
Minimum hardware system requirements for Windows 8
1. Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster
2. RAM memory: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
3. Hard disk drive space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)
4. Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device or higher
Additional requirements to use touch enabled features
1. You require tablet device or a display monitor device that supports multitouch feature.
2. Internet Connection and minimum screen resolution of 1024 x 768 is required to access the Windows Store and further to download and run apps.
3. Also, to snap apps you need a screen resolution of at least 1366 x 768.
Ideally, you can install and run Windows 8 on your current PC or laptop with Windows 7 OS. However, you may need to check on additional ‘touch’ requirements as listed above to fully use multi touch features. You can also check on device & programs compatibility with Windows 8 before taking decision to install Windows 8 on your system. [Source: Microsoft]